Sunday, January 30, 2011

January 30,2011 Final Final Thoughts on India

Well, I am home and have worked my way through two loads of laundry, cleaned the house and ran to the market for some groceries.

The best part of getting home was sitting with my family, both in Atlanta and Davenport, and reliving the travel and going through all the gifts and souveniers I brought home. I did a lot of shopping and it seemed everyone was pleased with what I picked. I will send Aaron's off to him tomorrow when I go to the post office to pick up 5 weeks of mail.

Final thoughts on India.....Devika Sharma is a dream travel companion. India is well worth seeing and I know I want to go back and see the rest of the country. I feel privileged to have met so many people and seen so much of the country.

I still wonder about the whole cow thing. If cows are so revered, why do they let them eat garbage on the streets? Having said that, there is a reverence for all animals, including pigeons. They are everywhere. Dogs here are well fed and cats have their paws full keeping the rats under control!

The Taj Hotel is beautiful. I would strongly recommend anyone traveling to Mumbai, spend a couple of hours and an couple of thousand rupees and have tea. It is relaxing, delicious and such a treat to get 5 star service. And, a view of the harbor and the Gate honoring one of the King Georges.

The people of India were so gracious to me whereever I traveled; except of course, whenever we had to stand in lines. Indians are line jumpers and totally rude whenever they are concentrating on getting ahead of the line. Fortunately, the daily contact I had with Indians in all the places we visited, far outwieghs any rudeness I encountered in lines. People were generally repsectful and glad I was there.

Devika shared her friends with me and I feel like I have new friends now. I hope I get the chance to host them in this country.

The historical places we visited were awe inspiring. Some were 1500 years old. The blend of cultures from the orginal inhabitants, the moguls, the British and the Portuguese is fascinating to see in the buildings, dress, food and even in the language, especially in Goa.

So ends my travelogue on India. Go see it for yourself. You will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment